URPL 721; Fall 2012 - Discussion Section
The discussion sessions that meet each Wednesday afternoon are designed to allow you time to review the topics discussed during the week in the lectures. Practice problems will be provided and discussed each week. These practice problems are not graded, but are simply provided to help you to better understand the methods through actual application using planning problems.
Note that the scratch folders are available for use but you are encouraged to use your own flash drives for secure storage. The following overview outlines the topics that will be covered during the lab each week and those that are covered during the lectures of that same week.
Organization of Discussion Section
Section I: Research design, descriptive and inferential statistics, and linear regression
1. Sept 19. Intro to discussion section, Randomization, basic descriptive statistics, and hypothesis testing (problem set 2)
2. Sept 26. Classroom of the real world - APA midwest meetings, monona terrace
3. Oct 3. More hypothesis testing and intro to simple linear regression (Problem set 3)
4. Oct 11. Wrap up PS 1 through 3 and Review for exam
Section II: Applied multivariate regression
5. oct 17. Multiple Regression - Example using Cross Sectional Data (Problem Set 4)
6. oct 24. Multiple Regression - More Examples using cross-sectional data
7. oct 31. Multiple Regression - More examples using cross-sectional data
8. nov 7. Multiple regression - Examples using time-series data
Section III: Demographics, community economics, and qualitative research design
9. Nov 21. Use for MT2 Extra Credit work
10. nov 28. cohort-survival analysis and location quotients (Problem Set 5)
11. dec 5. Shift-share analysis, gravity models, and Input Output Analysis (problem set 6)
12. dec 12. Wrap-up and Review for Exam
Problem Set 4 DATA ... and what can pass as a "KEY". For detail on specific responses to problems asked in PS4, you'll want to also use your class notes. This file contains the calculations ... each problem from PS4 was discussed in-detail during class sessions.
Problem Set 6 DATA ... instead of confusing you, I have separated PS5 from PS6. Here is the KEY to PS6. The example for an application of input-output analysis using MicroIMPLAN (Question 4) can be found in Extension Report 12-01. Refer to Section 2.3 (beginning on Page 35) and the part of Appendix A that deals with economic impact analysis (pages 69 and 70).